naming issues resolution process discussion (Re: [ogsa-wg] Proposed agenda for Nov. 16 call)

Ian Foster foster at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Nov 17 09:26:12 CST 2005

Andrew:

I'm not ignoring you: either I hadn't heard you express the use cases below
(I haven't been on all the calls) or I hadn't internalized you doing so. I
appreciate you taking the time to write them down: this information is very
helpful.

Three comments on the use cases:

1) These use cases, like Chris Smith's, do not imply a need for names that
are "globally unique in time and space." The only requirement is that names
be unique with respect to the scope of the activities that the user wants
to monitor or track. This might seem a minor point, but I think it's an
important one: as Chris pointed out, a sensible key to use as a name in #1
could be, in some circumstances, e.g. the LSF jobid. That choice of key is
prohibited by the current WS-Name definition.

2) In use case #1, I think you assume that a notification has the form "job
with epr E has status S." Certainly, if that was the case, then you'd face
the problem of determining which job that EPR referred to, something that
you can't do without the ability to compare EPRs. But in WS-Notification,
at least, when a client subscribes to notifications it can supply, as the
callback address, an EPR to a unique WS-Resource. So the notification
delivers the message "status S" to the subscription for job with epr E.
Thus, there is no need to include a key in the EPR for the purpose of
disambiguation.

3) Use case #2 makes sense to me. I could also do this without an
AbstractName, by passing around an XML structure containing an
application-specific key and the EPR--or, more likely, embedding the EPR in
a larger application-specific structure that I have created for other
purposes. But clearly an AbstractName could usefully be applied here.

Ian.