[ogsa-wg] ... without wsa:Address profile, AbstractName is meaningless ...

Frank Siebenlist franks at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Nov 11 00:27:05 CST 2005

Without the proper uniqueness guarantees for the wsa:Address, the use of
ws-naming's AbstractName is meaningless.

The EPR with an embedded AbstractName essentially describes a binding
between the Address and the AbstractName.
One could argue that this binding is a bit of a flaky assertion without
any way to specify time-validity or issuer.
As a result, one can not see from an EPR alone when it was issued or
whether it is still valid or not.

An EPR-minter can decide to create a new EPR for a resource and reuse an
Address that was used for an other resource before.
This would yield the undesirable situation that you would have two EPRs
with identical Addresses and two different AbstractNames associated with
different resources, and the client would have no way to see which one
of the EPRs is valid...

For example, if I have two EPRs with the same Address, where one EPR
includes an AbstractName that identifies MyBankAccount and the other
includes an AbstractName identifying YourBankAccount, then one of us
will not be happy with that situation...

In order to avoid this ambiguity, we need the guarantee from the
EPR-minter that Address values will not be reused for different
resources: for all times, the Address should either refer to that one
and only resource, or it should be invalid (and it is allowed to change
between those two states).
Furthermore, the EPR-minters should ensure that globally unique
Addresses are used for a resource such that different EPR-minters do not
(accidentally) use the same Address for different resources.
The described uniqueness properties of the Address constitutes a
required EPR-minter profile for the use of AbstractNames.

---

This has been reiterated in a number of emails, but i wanted to call it
out separately to facilitate the discussion whether the observation
holds water and if so, whether such a EPR-minter Address-profile should
become part of the ws-naming spec.

Again, I would especially welcome comments/reactions/acknowledgments
from the ws-naming authors...

Regards, Frank.

PS. Note that everywhere I wrote "Address" above, it should probably be
substituted by "Address+ReferenceParameters", but this simplification
doesn't change the observation.

Frank Siebenlist               franks at mcs.anl.gov
The Globus Alliance - Argonne National Laboratory