[ogsa-naming-wg] Re: [ogsa-wg] Abstract names in BES

Frank Siebenlist franks at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Nov 10 12:23:08 CST 2005

Hi Mark,

Mark McKeown wrote:
> Hi Frank,
>          A number of points/questions...
>
> By advocating using the Address element of the EPR as the
> AbstractName are you saying that ReferenceParameters should
> NOT be used to map messages to backend resources?
> (Two WSRF EPRs can have the same Address element but use
> ReferenceParameters to map to different WSRF resources)

I'm afraid that my own preference shown through here as life would be
simple with just IRIs ;-)

...but no, I realize that the ReferenceParameters will be used to carry
the dispatch info.

In the past I've given a recipe how one could construct an
identifier/name from the address+refParameters by essentially
concatenating the Address value with some base64 blob of the
canonicalized refParameters (or if space is a consideration, append the
digest value of the refParmeters...)

This transformation essentially would give you the Address value as the
name when no refParameters are present.

For this to work, the transformation should be standardized such that
all parties can generate the same IRI-name, and it still requires a
profile on the uniqueness properties for the combined
Address+RefParameters for this to be a useful name (URN).

> The Address is an IRI, ie it can be a URN. It has never
> been clear to me how EPR's that use URNs in the Address
> element should be used, though people seem quite keen on them.
> Either the client can somehow map the URN to a physical
> network location or it can get another service to resolve
> the URN to a physical network location - are you adovcating
> using URNs as the Address element?

I'm advocating that the Address element's IRI can both be used as an
URN, i.e. just a name/identifier that is not expected to be resolved to
anything, and an endpoint reference address. (Note that the latter may
today provide you with a true communication path to your resource but
tomorrow it may be stale... but profiling shound ensure that it should
never, ever refer to a different resource)

> Regarding Chris's desire to be able to pass the LSF jobid
> back to the client somehow - it could be included in the EPR's
> Metdata, possibly RDF could be used to mark up the Metadata
> to indicate that it is a LSF jobid. In this way the Address
> IRI can be kept opaque. There is an interesting question as
> to whether sending the LSF jobid back to the client somehow
> breaks encapsulation - eg if I submit a job, the job is allocated
> a local jobid, the job is checkpointed, stopped then restarted
> on a different system with a different local jobid.

Right, and one alternative would be to use the Address itself as the jobId.

If the job would migrate to another system with a different local jobId,
it would also have a different Address IRI, and we need a more stable
job-name to deal with that, which could be an AbstractName, or could be
through the renewableReference's IRI that can also be viewed as a jobId.
This points out that if the RenewableReference's IRI can be used as a
name (URN), then this essentially can be used for the exact same purpose
as the AbstractName.

Regards, Frank.

Frank Siebenlist               franks at mcs.anl.gov
The Globus Alliance - Argonne National Laboratory