[ogsa-wg] Teleconference minutes - 2 November 2005

Ian Foster foster at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Nov 4 05:59:30 CST 2005

A more accurate answer would be that "Globus has lots of different
selectors", in that given the building blocks provided by MDS and GRAM, one
can build many different strategies (as was our intention), and indeed
people do just that . Thus, we see e.g.:

* Policy-driven schedulers that use published information about site
policies to determine where to send work (e.g., Dumitrescu).

* Performance-driven schedulers that use information about past performance
at different sites to determine where to send work.

* Load-driven schedulers that use information about current load at
different sites to determine where to send work.

* Reservation-based schedulers that use advance reservations. (This only in
research systems so far, due to lack of advance reservation support in most
production deployments.)

* Condor matchmaking

* Alternative matchmaking strategies based on extended ClassAd-like systems

* Schedulers that use information about data location to determine where to
send work.

* Coschedulers that use DUROC-like mechanisms to initiate computation only
on sites that turn out to be available.

I need to see more details on what is being proposed in terms of a selector
interface, but I would be concerned if there was an attempt to incorporate
this as a primitive. As the brief and far-from-comprehensive list above
shows, there are many different resource selection strategies that may be
applied, and these strategies may be applied in many different ways and in
different places.

Ian.

At 06:37 PM 11/4/2005 +0900, Andreas Savva wrote:
>   - Other existing work on preferences or selection policy?
>     - EGEE uses Condor classads (with EGEE extensions)
>     - Globus (no, since no there is no scheduler)

Ian Foster                    www.mcs.anl.gov/~foster
Math & Computer Science Div.  Dept of Computer Science
Argonne National Laboratory   The University of Chicago
Argonne, IL 60439, U.S.A.     Chicago, IL 60637, U.S.A.
Tel: 630 252 4619             Fax: 630 252 1997
         Globus Alliance, www.globus.org