[ogsa-wg] Resigning as OGSA-WG co-chair

Ian Foster foster at mcs.anl.gov
Tue May 17 17:53:21 CDT 2005

Dear All:

As you all know, I have been OGSA-WG chair since the formation of OGSA-WG.
However, over the last year, I have not been engaging at anything like the
level required of a WG chair. This is due partly to an increasing number of
other demands on my time, partly to changing funding profiles at Argonne
which leave me with no explicit support for GGF work, and partly (I have to
admit) to my temperament, which does not deal well with regular phone calls
and meetings.

My lack of engagement has not explicitly hindered OGSA-WG, because Hiro has
been doing such an amazing job. However, while Hiro has emphasized to me
that it is useful to have me engaged even at a low level, I have been
finding it increasingly embarrassing to be holding this position when I am
not doing the work. In addition, I believe that there is an opportunity
cost: we could be engaging someone else as co-chair who would do far more
than I.

The last straw, from my perspective, is that I have just discovered that I
am not able to attend next week's OGSA-WG F2F due to another commitment.

For these reasons, I hereby resign as OGSA-WG co-chair. I plan to stay
involved in OGSA-WG where this makes sense, but I don't want to have any
management role.

I want to emphasize that this resignation does not reflect in any way a
lack of commitment to GGF or OGSA by myself or my Globus colleagues. We
plan to continue our engagement in GGF and OGSA standards development, to
the extent that resources permit, and to implement GGF and OGSA
specifications whenever feasible.

I won't say "it's been a pleasure working with you all" as I plan to
continue to be engaged!

Regards -- Ian.