[ogsa-wg] ByteIO WG Status

Hiro Kishimoto hiro.kishimoto at jp.fujitsu.com
Sat May 14 00:13:51 CDT 2005

Mark's email bounced.

From: "Mark Morgan" <mmm2a at virginia.edu>
Subject: ByteIO WG Status
Date: Fri, 13 May 2005 10:45:50 -0400

All,

Hiro requested that I send a brief paragraph out to the ogsa mailing list to
give status for the byteio-wg.

The ByteIO WG is now an official OGSA WG.  We have a mailing list that you can
subscribe to if you like (byteio-wg at ggf.org).  Our telecons are every other
Tuesday (the next one being on 17 May 2005) at 10am Eastern.

So far we have discussed the following topics:
	* Telecon Schedules
	* Use Case Template Document
	* Technological Issues with bulk data transfer

The bulk data transfer issues revolve around trying to come up with a bulk data
transfer solution that is well supported and adopted without sacrificing
flexibility and interoperability with other WS specifications. We want to make
sure that solutions which work for firewalls, NATs, security, etc. are viable
for whatever bulk data transfer mechanisms we come up with.  We have looked at a
number of different options including PBIO, DIME Attachments, MTOM, etc.
Initial reactions seem to be to support to some degree user-specifiable transfer
options.  The main problem with picking eitehr DIME or MTOM is availability and
stability of the spec.

We have also sent out to the mailing lists (both byteio, and ogsa) the use case
template document that we want comments on.  We will use this to write up the
use case document and discussions on both feedback from the template and initial
use cases to start on next week's telecon.

-Mark

--
Mark Morgan
Research Scientist