[ogsa-wg] OGSA-BES-07Mar2005

Steven Newhouse sjn5 at doc.ic.ac.uk
Tue Mar 8 07:23:19 CST 2005

> 1.  The getActivityStatus operation takes an array argument and returns
> an array of array of strings.  This looks like a design written by a C
> programmer(*).  In the context of a Web Service interface, wouldn't it
> be more appropriate to return an XML document?

Certainly. The whole point of the interface description is for it to be
concise psuedo code so that we can agree initially on what we want to
represent. In this case we want to return an 'array of arrays'. Once we
have agreed on what we want to do specifying the XML structure to
deliver it to the client will (I hope, nay dream) be simple.

> 2.  The getActivityStatus and terminateActivity operations take an array
> of activity IDs.  This means that the client has to include logic for
> deciding which IDs to pass in.  An alternative might be to use a query
> language, so that the client could specify sets of activities that meet
> certain criteria.  E.g. a simple query might specify "all activities
> owned by this client" (assuming a definition of ownership...).  More
> complex queries might specify:
> 	- "all activities that have been running for more than x
> minutes"
> 	- "all activities that have failed to start"
> 	- "all activities taking more than X megabytes"
> 	- "the activities with IDs in this list" (i.e. providing the
> same behaviour as an array parameter).

This seems an interesting idea. It would mean exposing more of the
internal state of the service and focussing on a batch-ish environment.
Something for discussion at the BoF or during the WG.

> 3.  We need to clarify when operations use abstract names and when they
> use addresses.

This where some progress is needed from the naming folks within OGSA-WG
or elsewhere. A simple URN can always be mapped through a
registry/resolver to an EPR or something service specific.

>  Also, what happens when a job is migrated from
> one service to another?

If you have a resolvebale URN, job migration is handled by resolving the
URN to the new job location.

Steven
Dr Steven Newhouse                        Tel:+44 (0)2380 598789
Deputy Director, Open Middleware Infrastructure Institute (OMII)
Suite 6005, Faraday Building (B21), Highfield Campus,
Southampton University, Highfield, Southampton, SO17 1BJ,  UK