[ogsa-wg] RE: GRIDtoday Edition: Tony Hey: 'Challenging Times for GGF & Standards'

Fred Maciel fred-m at crl.hitachi.co.jp
Fri Mar 4 13:21:46 CST 2005

Hi again,

     I'm a bit surprised that everybody seems to be forgetting something
quite important, which I pointed out in the OGSA-WG face-to-face.
     Long ago, we had a long discussion on the OGSA-WG about which standards
we should adopt, and we decided that we should only adopt standards that are
(1) being worked on in a public and open standards body, where we can give
feedback if needed, (2) with clear IP rules.
     Notice that (1) is a lot stronger that it seems. Just throwing a spec
at a standards body does not give it legitimacy for use in OGSA, because
there is no guarantee that it will be worked on as submitted. Example:
IBM-CA-Talking Blocks' WS-Manageability, and HP's WSMF, which were submitted
to WSDM (WSDM was inspired in both, but wasn't either). That the spec is
being discussed in some sort of a  "standards body" does not matter if it is
not public and open.
     Apart from vanilla WS-I, the only thing that we have is WSRF and WSDM.

Regards,

Fred Maciel.