[ogsa-wg] RE: GRIDtoday Edition: Tony Hey: 'Challenging Times for GGF & Standards'

Mark McKeown zzalsmm3 at nessie.mcc.ac.uk
Fri Mar 4 07:36:26 CST 2005

Hi Steve

-snip-

> This is an issue regardless of whether you use WSRF, or whether you use
> WS-* with WS-Addressing. There is not enough stability in specification
> or implementation to be able to say "this is our code, we guarantee that
> it will continue to work for 5 years". Only REST services built on
> HTTP1.0+XML1.0 can pull that off, at the expense of no structured fault
> mechanism other than http error codes, no security other than HTTPS
> and/or HTTP basic/digest auth, etc etc.

Can XML signature and encryption not be used with REST services
as suggested in the Atom specification?

Section 10 of
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-atompub-format-05.txt

"Atom document can be encrypted and signed using
 [W3C.REC-xmlenc-core-20021210] and [W3C.REC-xmldsig-core-20020212],
 respectively, and is subject to the security considerations implied
 by their use."

Also should that be HTTP1.1?

cheers
Mark