[ogsa-wg] RE: GRIDtoday Edition: Tony Hey: 'Challenging Times for GGF & Standards'

Djaoui, A (Abdeslem) A.Djaoui at rl.ac.uk
Thu Mar 3 04:15:12 CST 2005

I agree that defining the perfect layer of abstraction would be a good thing to do. But we have tried before and never got very far in agreeing on what that layer should be in a reasonable time. In order to make quick progress as expected from us, we would be better off discussing what it takes to compose WSRF services with non-WSRF (may be WS-Transfer?) services. some layers of integration (intermediaries, handlers,...) might be needed, but this is a small price to pay, compared to the alternatives of starting again or having a divided community. OGSA being a service oriented architecture will provide a choice of services. Market forces will ensure that the better services survive and the bad ones will be unused for a long time before they die peacefully. This way people can go their preferred way BUT AT THEIR OWN RISK but both approaches will be part of OGSA.

Abdeslem.
/////////