[ogsa-wg] RE: GRIDtoday Edition: Tony Hey: 'Challenging Times for GGF & Standards'

Djaoui, A (Abdeslem) A.Djaoui at rl.ac.uk
Wed Mar 2 04:23:55 CST 2005

Just clarifying a rather small part of the big puzzle!

>The argument is about whether support for WS-Addressing is all that is
>required in order to interact with services built on top of WS-RF. I
>believe this to be an oversimplification. Support for WS-Addressing is
>absolutely required. However, it's not enough.

It is enough, for a client to interact with a service that implements a WSRF specification. Note: I did not use the term build on top (this term might imply that WSRF implementations have to be provided by the infrastructure).
The service simply implements one of the WS-* specifications (ie WSRF)! The client then uses messages exchanges as defined in that services description.

>The implementation of the
>semantics of the ResourceProperties and Lifetime related messages have
>to be provided. If they are not provided, a developer will end up
>implementing them.

Absolutely, this is true of any web service specification, including WS-Transfer (no offence intended to any WS-* specification!)

Abdeslem
/////////