[ogsa-wg] RE: GRIDtoday Edition: Tony Hey: 'Challenging Times for GGF & Standards'

Savas Parastatidis Savas.Parastatidis at newcastle.ac.uk
Tue Mar 1 12:16:41 CST 2005

The argument that is being made is not that an implementation of WS-RF
cannot exist on .NET. WSRF.NET demonstrates that this is possible.

The argument is about whether support for WS-Addressing is all that is
required in order to interact with services built on top of WS-RF. I
believe this to be an oversimplification. Support for WS-Addressing is
absolutely required. However, it's not enough. The implementation of the
semantics of the ResourceProperties and Lifetime related messages have
to be provided. If they are not provided, a developer will end up
implementing them.

The analogy I usually use is this... The interaction with an HTTP server
requires TCP/IP. If you have socket-programming libraries you can
interact with the HTTP server. However, in the process you'll be
implementing a programming library for HTTP communications.

Regards,
--
Savas Parastatidis
http://savas.parastatidis.name