[ogsa-wg] RE: GRIDtoday Edition: Tony Hey: 'Challenging Times for GGF & Standards'

Frank Siebenlist franks at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Mar 1 01:08:21 CST 2005

So... if ws-transfer and ws-properties are sets of conventions that do
essentially the same thing, then it's actually a great compliment to
ogsa's choice of wsrf that MS decided that it needs a similar functionality!

Do I understand that Tony essentially asks the OGSA-WG to come up with
an additional abstraction layer that allows one to model the usage
patterns such that it can map to either wsrf or ws-transfer implementations?

...but if we model the usage patterns with wsrf, and wsrf and
ws-transfer are doing conceptually the same thing, isn't the ogsa-wg
doing just that: it uses an abstraction that can be used to describe the
relevant usage patterns without losing any generality.

The idea of inventing "yet an other abstraction layer" doesn't sound
very productive.

-Frank.

Frank Siebenlist               franks at mcs.anl.gov
The Globus Alliance - Argonne National Laboratory