[ogsa-wg] OGSA-MWS-BOF at GGF14 on Tues June 28, noon-1:30

Donal K. Fellows donal.k.fellows at manchester.ac.uk
Thu Jun 23 17:09:20 CDT 2005

Fred Maciel wrote:
> Being sarcastic, on the letter "O", perhaps the GGF was truly Open around
> GGF6, when OGSA was just an architecture among many, nothing special. But
> the GFSG chose it as the "flagship architecture" of the GGF, stating at
> least a preference. Allowing multiple profiles without preferences moves
> things back in the direction of GGF6, which for some people is wonderful,
> and for others, disastrous. (Again, I'm being sarcastic, don't waste your
> time taking this too seriously).

Isn't it obvious? Flagships are there for the enemy to shoot at.

Speaking seriously, I would be interested to see some kind of strawman
alternative architecture to the current "blessed" one; the differences
would be most instructive[*]. On the other hand, I can say for sure that
I won't be putting any effort into developing such a thing in the short
term (few months) and probably not in the medium term (few years)
either. But should this be done by a working group...?

Donal.
[* I suspect that the full sweet spot of the blessed version isn't there
    in this other combination, but would be happy to be proved wrong. ]