[ogsa-wg] OGSA-MWS-BOF at GGF14 on Tues June 28, noon-1:30

Tom Maguire tmaguire at us.ibm.com
Wed Jun 22 20:03:32 CDT 2005

> > >(MS realizes that every day these are NOT in a standards body is an
> > > opportunity lost, right?)
> >
> > If you wish to believe this that is your perogative.  I on the other
hand
> > will wait and not hold my breath.  As to opportunity lost; what is the
> > incentive to standardize if developers are happy to work with specs
that
> > are not standardized?
> >

> I find this statement curious. Isn't this *PRECISELY* what we're talking
> about? That is, YOU (and I assume that you are not alone in this concern)
> are reluctant to pursue these specs in part because they're not
> standardized. So saying that "developers are happy to work with specs
that
> are not standardized" doesn't seem quite right.

My comment was wrt your assertion that MS realizes that NOT being in a
standards
body is an opportunity lost.  I do not believe it can be characterized as a
lost
opportunity for MS if some set of developers (not me) think that it is fine
use those specs with them being in a standards body.  What is their
incentive?
What additional benefit do they accrue from moving the spec into a
standards body?

Let me be absolutely clear.  Entertaining these specifications as a basis
for profile
work in OGSA will be a disincentive for moving those specifications into an
SDO.