[ogsa-wg] OGSA-MWS-BOF at GGF14 on Tues June 28, noon-1:30

Marty Humphrey humphrey at cs.virginia.edu
Wed Jun 22 18:05:06 CDT 2005

Dave,

You bring up a valid concern regarding the Informational Profile vs.
Recommended Profile. I, too, do not presume to answer the question regarding
WHEN to pursue this (if ever) one way or the other-- although I *am* leaning
toward moving forward with this effort, soon, given sufficient community
interest. Microsoft has stated many times that they are following this
four-step process for a very deliberate reason: in effect, to *NOT* get
"bogged down" in a standards body, modifying specs and then re-performing
interop tests, waiting for everyone to come to consensus (and perhaps add
their own little pet protocol/mechanism/whatever). That is, they would argue
that their current four-step process directly facilitates fast-ratification
in a standards body such as OASIS, because so much work (e.g., interop in
the workshops) takes place *BEFORE* going into standards bodies. This of
course argues that -- if true -- there is reason for this OGSA-based
profiling to move forward, and now (to restate slightly, IF it is to move
forward, THEN it should move forward now).

I'm not necessarily convinced that this is true, but the optimist in me
would like to believe so. But again, you're right -- this is certainly a
reasonable topic for discussion in the BOF!

-- Marty

Marty Humphrey
Assistant Professor
Department of Computer Science