[ogsa-wg] OGSA-MWS-BOF at GGF14 on Tues June 28, noon-1:30

Tom Maguire tmaguire at us.ibm.com
Wed Jun 22 13:44:05 CDT 2005

So to be precise, with regard to status, you have no idea when or if those
specifications will be submitted to an SDO for standardization.  Further
you have no way of knowing when or if those specifications will be
submitted to an SDO, given that there are most likely contractual
obligations between the current set of authors to which you would never be
privy and if you were would be precluded from disclosing.

Tom

Frey’s Law: “Every 5 years the number of architecture components double and
the ability to comprehend them halves”

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when
there is nothing left to take away.   – Antoine de Saint-Exupery

T o m   M a g u i r e

STSM, On Demand Architecture

Poughkeepsie, NY  12601

owner-ogsa-wg at ggf.org wrote on 06/22/2005 07:45:03 AM:

> > 1.  Please could you clarify the status of WS-Transfer, WS-Eventing and
> > WS-Enumeration in the terms of the OGSA Profile template?  I.e. have
they
> > been submitted to an SDO, are they draft or evolving, etc.?
>
> As you know, there is a 4-step process by which these specs will become
> standards: [1] "Develop", in which the spec is published; [2] "Broader
> Participation", in which there are feedback and interop workshops
(resulting
> in possibly revising and republishing the specs); [3] "Standardization",
in
> which the specs are submitted to a standardization body, which then can
> modify the spec as well and eventually ratify; [4] "Profiles", in which a
> separate document shows how to *combine* specs, generally resulting in a
> "subsetting" of the original specs.
>
> On Dec 1, 2004, Intel hosted a "feedback" workshop (step [2]), above, for
> WS-Enumeration and WS-Transfer. The companies attending the workshop
> included AMD, Computer Associates, Dell, HP, IBM, Intel, Microsoft, SAP,
> Sharp, Sonic, Sun, veritas, et. al. Although I can't entirely confirm
this,
> it looks like the following companies brought implementations of
> WS-Enumeration/WS-Transfer to this workshop: Microsoft, Dell, Intel,
NetIQ,
> Sun, and WebMethods.
>
> On Feb 19, 2004, Tibco hosted a "feedback" workshop for WS-Eventing.
> Attendees included Microsoft, BEA, IBM, NEC, Sonic, etc. On April 15,
2004,
> Microsoft hosted an "interop" workshop on WS-Eventing ("The outcome of
the
> workshop was the demonstration of interoperability among all the 7
> implementations." The seven implementations were from BEA, Canon, Epson,
> Microsoft, Ricoh, Sonic, and Systinet.) It looks like there will be
another
> WS-Eventing workshop, although the date/time have not been announced.
>
> The most recent specs are:
>
> -- WS-Eventing: Aug 2004 (Authors: IBM, BEA, Computer Associates,
Microsoft,
> Sun, and Tibco).  This new version modifies the original version (Jan
2004,
> I believe) to reflect the workshops.
>
> -- WS-Enumeration: Sept 2004 (Authors: Systinet, Microsoft, Sonic, BEA,
> Computer Associates). This is the first version of the spec.
>
> -- WS-Transfer: Sept 2004 (Authors: Systinet, Microsoft, Sonic, BEA,
> Computer Associates). This is the first version of the spec.
>
> There's an interesting graphic that shows some of the progress from
> Microsoft's perspective here:
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/webservices/graphics/workshop-timeline.gif
(this
> is taken from
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/webservices/community/workshops/default.aspx)
>

> > 2.  I can see that WS-Transfer specifies some of the functionality of
WSRF
> > and WS-Eventing is largely equivalent to WS-BaseNotification, but what
has
> > WS-Enumeration to do with this?  From a brief reading, it seems to
specify
> > functionality that is independent of either stack.
>
> I can see this point -- in our initial designs and experimentation with
> WS-Transfer and WS-Eventing, we chose to not utilize WS-Enumeration. But
we
> are increasingly considering WS-Enumeration as an important part of the
> story.
>
> From Felipe Cabrera of Microsoft: "Many scenarios require data exchange
> using more than just a single request/response message pair. Types of
> applications that require these longer data exchanges include database
> queries, data streaming, the traversal of information such as namespaces,
> and enumerating lists. Enumeration, in particular, is achieved through
> establishing a session between the data source and the requestor. This
> session is established using the Enumerate operation, which provides an
> enumeration context that is then used in subsequent operations.
Successive
> messages within the session transport the collection of elements being
> retrieved. No assumptions are made on the approach used by the service to
> organize the items that will be produced. What is expected is that under
> normal processing circumstances, the enumeration will produce all the
> underlying data before the end of the session.... In its simplest form,
> WS-Enumeration defines a single operation, Pull, which allows a data
source,
> in the context of a specific enumeration, to produce a sequence of XML
> elements in the body of a SOAP message.... Three more request/response
> operations are defined in WS-Enumeration: Renew, GetStatus, and
Release....
> State information regarding the progress of the iteration can be
maintained
> between requests by either the data source or the consuming service....
In