[ogsa-wg] Questions on OGSA WSRF Basic Profile 1.0

Tom Maguire tmaguire at us.ibm.com
Fri Jun 10 11:30:48 CDT 2005

> Let me put this another way: The reader who is not intimately involved
with
> WSRF reads this and wonders "Why are they possibly doing this? Isn't WS-I
> Basic Security Profile sufficient to 'secure' Web services? Are they
saying
> that WS-I Basic Security Profile is INSUFFICIENT? Then why don't they say
> this directly? Are they instead just repeating some things in WS-I Basic
> Security Profile? For what reason? If so, then why can't they just say
> this?"

We are not saying that BSP is not sufficient to secure Web services.
The problem is that strictly speaking you can be WS-BSP conformant
and have no security.  The conformance requirements are there to
'require' all OGSA BP compliant services to provide a security.

> The reader somewhat more involved/cognizant immediately comes around to
what
> Mark points out. That is, as one of my guys puts it after reading the
doc:

> "On the security front, SSL and mutual authentication is required
> everywhere. It seems strange that SSL is required even if WS-Security
> message level encryption is used. In some cases might you want to allow
> anonymous access or not care about encryption? I think, maybe yes. I'm
not
> sure how much is gained by restricting flexibility here. Certainly not
> interop, since interop is always best without security."

I'll leave this discussion to others who are more eloquent on these
requirements.