Resilient References? (Re: [ogsa-wg] ogsa London f2f minutes uploaded)

Andrew Grimshaw grimshaw at cs.virginia.edu
Fri Jun 3 12:00:27 CDT 2005

Frank et. Al.
Let me begin by saying that I believe there are two basic arguments for
keeping resolution out of the base profile and in WS-Naming (really the
WS-Name Resolution component): 1) architectural cleanliness and politics,
and 2) purely technical. Mark Morgan will address (2) in a subsequent email.
I will address (1).

Architectural cleanliness and politics.
Let's take the architectural issue first.

What we are taking about is naming and name resolution including rebinding
of existing bindings. Here a binding is some sort of <address, way to
identify the thing the binding is for> tuple. Multi-layer schemes for this
are as old as Moses in distributed systems - and even in regular operating
systems and programming languages (think swizzle).

Now, suppose that we have a mechanism in WSRF-Base Profile for doing the
rebinding as proposed, i.e,
	ogsa-bp:resilientReference
	ogsa-rns:Resolve

Later, a different OGSA base profile, perhaps for WSI, comes along and they
also need a resolution scheme. So we have another set of names/namespaces
for doing EXACTLY the same thing.

OR, a basic WS facility, endorsed by many major players, comes along that
also does resolution ... and we yet another way of doing the same thing.

It is, in my opinion, much better to do resolution ONCE, along with other
naming and name resolution, and in such a way as to be completely
INDEPENDENT of grid. Why independent of grid? Because we want a system that
will be as ubiquitous as possible - and used for both "grid services" and
more general "web services".

Now to politics. If we assume for the moment that a) naming and binding has
broader impact than just grids, and b) we are striving for wide-spread
usage, then it is very important that all of the major vendors are willing
to "buy in" to whatever scheme we come up with. The reality right now is
that some vendors will not touch anything associated with WSRF. Yet your
proposal will be in the WSRF-Base-Profile!

As I mentioned earlier Mark will address some of the more technical issues.
I'll steal some of his thunder and point out that the current proposal in
WS-Naming clearly separates "naming" from "resolution".  Indeed, once could
resolve an EPR that does not contain an abstract name.

Andrew

Ps. Below I comment on some of your specific points, with <AG> .. </AG>
tags.