QueryResourceProperties (Re: [ogsa-wg] Teleconference minutes - 20 July 2005)

Tom Maguire tmaguire at us.ibm.com
Mon Jul 25 15:53:55 CDT 2005

-1 to defining content wrappers for QRP Response.  The consumer of the
response is the same 'person' that defined the query xpath.  They know what
they should be getting in response.  SC14N defines a concise serialization
so that each xpath processor will know how to serialize that information.
IMO that is all that is necessary for interop.

Tom

Frey’s Law: “Every 5 years the number of architecture components double and
the ability to comprehend them halves”

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when
there is nothing left to take away.   – Antoine de Saint-Exupery

T o m   M a g u i r e

STSM, On Demand Architecture

Poughkeepsie, NY  12601

             Takuya Mori
             <moritaku at bx.jp.n
             ec.com>                                                    To
             Sent by:                  ogsa-wg at gridforum.org
             owner-ogsa-wg at ggf                                          cc
             .org
                                                                   Subject
                                       QueryResourceProperties (Re:
             07/25/2005 01:43          [ogsa-wg] Teleconference minutes -
             PM                        20 July 2005)

Hi,

I have some additional comments on the return type of the XPath
evaluation for QueryResourceProperties.

https://forge.gridforum.org/projects/ogsa-wg/document/draft-ggf-ogsa-wsrf-basic-profile/en/24

>   Did a page by page review until page 14 (l.493). Accepted all
>   changes to that point with the following exceptions:
>
>   - R0429: Takuya has comments on the Schema Centric Canonicalization
>     specification. A summary follows:
>     - The Schema Centric Canonicalication specification only covers
>       serialization of nodesets. So there is still a need to define
>       the schema for the content of reply messages when the return
>       values that are strings, numbers, booleans. (XPath allows such
>       return values.)

The XPath specification allows four types of value as its return value.
And, once an expression is given, its return value is also determined.

But, in my opinion, because there may be a case where an XPath
expression is not available at the design time, we still need a way to
introspect the type of the return value dynamically at runtime.

So, I think we need to define some structure in the content of the
response message for the QueryResourceProperties operation.

The structure could be an element which has an attribute to hold a type
information of the result.  And the content of the element could be
one of four elements each of which can have a type of value defined
in the XPath spec as its return value.

The following is an example:

  <wsrf-rp:QueryResourcePropertiesResponse>
      <ogsa-bp:XPathResult type="ogsa-bp:string-type">
          <ogsa-bp:StringValue>ReturnValue</ogsa-bp:StringValue>
      </ogsa-bp:XPathResult>
  </wsrf-rp:QueryResourcePropertiesResponse>

Thanks,
Takuya