[ogsa-wg] Re: [ogsa-rss-bof] OGSA RM teleconference -- where does resource modeling fits in?

Mathias Dalheimer dalheimer at itwm.fhg.de
Mon Jul 18 10:35:29 CDT 2005

Hi Fred, Hi all!

Donal K. Fellows wrote:
> Fred Maciel wrote:
>
>>      First of all, sorry for the cross-posting -- this subject
>> involves all three WGs.
>>      Since GGF14 there have been a lot of discussions on where resource
>> modeling fits -- BES considered it out of scope but Andrew thinks it's
>> not totally out; RSS is discussing whether it's in scope; and this was
>> discussed in the OGSA-WG also. So, let's discuss this in the Resource Modeling
>> design team teleconference (which is, in fact, the place to discuss this).
 >
> Alas, the timing of the telecon is consistently impossible for me for
> family reasons, and I'm pretty certain that Soonwook Hwang can't make
> them either. (I'm not sure about Mathias Dalheimer.)
I will be in the call tomorrow. I cannot make this nights OGSA-WG call.

> However, so far we've discussed this within the RSS group by email and I
> think we feel that from the point-of-view of the RSS, we will not be
> saying very much at this stage. We do not wish to say that services
[snip]
We had an email discussion on the OGSA-RSS-BOF mailing list. You can see
our argumentation in the archive:

http://www-unix.gridforum.org/mail_archive/ogsa-rss-bof/2005/07/msg00008.html
(and several follow-ups)

To sum it up, we think it is an important discussion. It is out of scope
for us, but we need to have an advanced resource model, especially - as
Donal pointed out - when we want to deal with different user preferences
etc. At the moment, I have the feeling that OGSA-RSS should focus on a
more basic model in order to bootstrap its work. Therefore, the
attributes in JSDL are our starting point. Of course, we will contribute
our requirements when we identified them.

-Mathias