[ogsa-wg] OGSA-EMS Meeting Agenda (2005-01-17)

Subramaniam, Ravi ravi.subramaniam at intel.com
Mon Jan 17 16:58:44 CST 2005

Hi,

Thanks for all the responses. It is in a way heartening to see this both
from a participation perspective and with respect to my sanity.

I was uncomfortable with the way the EMS discussion going with trying to
"nail down" something without having any wood to nail to. I thought I
was seriously missing something and decided to go with the "flow". I
also had this uncomfortable feeling that my attempts to do the right
thing were being misunderstood by some.

I think we are not ready from "a reasonable agreed upon architecture" to
the "candidate set of specs for a profile". I also thing the value of
OGSA is from defining the architecture which acts as the scaffolding for
the many specifications that are each being developed with a narrow
focus (not bad in itself since that is their stated purpose). These
specifications for the most part are "works in progress" and one or two
that are ready or close to ready do not make a profile for an areas like
EMS. We are also not agreed on the concepts in the architecture as the
current exercise in re-labeling the concepts indicates. We have a
strawman but more work is necessary to vet the architecture.

On the other hand, we have implementations (or implementations in
flight) in and around this space. From what I know/understand most are
capable of scheduling execution but not managing execution. I am,
therefore, uncomfortable basing the architecture definition on a few
examples which could leave out other legitimate examples. We need to
drive more participation and arrive at a desired architecture. This
activity need not take a long while and can be in parallel to activities
going on in candidate specs.  Also as more implementations adopt some of
these lower specs we will have more data points.

I wanted to add my 2 cents to this discussion. It looks like we may want
to modify the agenda to discuss the issues raised. ???

Talk to you later today.

Ravi