[ogsa-wg] Re: OGSA-EMS Meeting Agenda (2005-01-17)

David Snelling David.Snelling at UK.Fujitsu.com
Mon Jan 17 13:49:32 CST 2005

Folks,

On 17 Jan 2005, at 19:24, Andrew Grimshaw wrote:

> I think it is premature to think about a profile except in general
> terms of what we think should go in it. I think we need to think about
> spec’s, forming working groups to generate those specs, and so on.
>  (Forming working groups involves charters, BOF’s, etc.)

Agreed. It is definitely too early to talk about profiling EMS (even
candidate profiles).

But, we really do need a WG started to define a minimal set of
interfaces that actually allow us to run "hello World" on a Grid. I'm
not sure I agree with, or really understand, Andrew's terms below, but
then that is what a WG is all about.

> In particular I think we should focus on the basic services we have
> identified so far (or as they were renamed to avoid confusion):
>
> Service containers
> Actors
> Solutions
> Solution Factories
> Actor descriptors – which may be the same as something another group
> is working on – a description of the execution component. Hiro help me
> here.
>
>  And so on. We then need to make sure all of the players who may want
> to be included are contracted: e.g., Globus, EGEE,
>  OMII, SGE, Platform, PBS, Virginia, and who ever else wants to be
> involved.

I would add to this list Unicore, NAREGI, and China Grid all of which
have running interfaces parallel to the GRAM interface in Globus. All
these groups have suggested to me in the past few days that they want
to join a WG on this topic. OMII is discussing it actively. JSDL is
ready for a delivery mechanism, ....

In short, a BoF is in order.

--

Take care:

     Dr. David Snelling < David . Snelling . UK . Fujitsu . com >
     Fujitsu Laboratories of Europe
     Hayes Park Central
     Hayes End Road
     Hayes, Middlesex  UB4 8FE