[ogsa-wg] BES query

Dave Berry daveb at nesc.ac.uk
Wed Aug 31 15:23:26 CDT 2005

Ian,

As always, you raise interesting questions.  Some I want to ask you
about further; some I would like to see other people address.

However, I was surprised by your reply about the "three levels" of
naming.  While WS-naming doesn't include these concepts, the OGSA v1.0
document does.  They also form the basis of the GFS working group work
that led to RNS and WS-Naming, and are important parts of EDG/EGEE, for
example.  That doesn't mean that you have to agree with it but I'm
surprised that this issue wasn't resolved earlier.

I'm also surprised that you give name equivalence as the main
characteristic of an abstract name.  I thought the main characteristic
was that it was a persistent name that does not specify a particular
location.  (Although this could be a property of the WS-Name package
rather than the string - see below).

I'm afraid I don't follow your example of a file replication system.
Clearly we need to name the separate entities involved and there may be
many levels of indirection.  I don't see why that is an argument against
the three level approach.  We don't need to have one "level" of name for
each "level" of indirection.

Turning to a question I'd like to see other people address:

Ian's point about uniqueness within a particular context makes good
sense to me.  If a WS-Name is a combination of an arbitrary string and a
resolver, isn't it the combination of the two that should be globally
unique?  E.g. if one WS-Name resolves "foo" to my hard drive and another
resolves "foo" to Ian's, the two WS-Name packages themselves are still
globally unique.  I suppose this is why Ian took name equivalence as a
key property.  Do we perhaps need a scope notion in WS-Names, so that
they may be valid within a VO, or globally unique, or have some other
scope?

I guess the counter to this is whether it is really such an imposition
to create a globally unique string, given that UUIDs seem to do the job.

Dave.