[ogsa-wg] Scenarios to use at the resource model discussion

Fred Maciel Fred.Maciel at hds.com
Thu Aug 11 20:12:57 CDT 2005

Folks,

     Here is a proposal for scenarios to use at the resource model
discussion at the face-to-face. (Chris, thanks for the feedback).
     Starting by what how to do the discussion, we should project the EMS
picture (i.e., the one with all its services) on a whiteboard, then submit
"job(s)" to the Job Manager. Then we follow all the information related to
the resource model while we go through through the steps of discovery (which
happens before job submission), resource selection, deployment, execution,
etc..
     I'm proposing two scenarios below, which put different emphasis on
different points (queues vs online, dynamic vs static information, etc.). On
each example I'm cutting details that would be redundant (storage in the
first one, I/O bandwidth in the second, etc.). We probably will only have
time to tackle one of them, and the first one should be complete enough.

(1) Commercial Data Center (see OGSA use cases)
     We want to allocate two Web servers, two application servers and one
database server in a data center, and run a Web site on it. This is an
online system so resources are scheduled (i.e., the Web site comes live on a
given date). The whole Web site is a single "job submission" which specifies
the whole system structure and applications (including versions). The
emphasis here is the system structure. [We might add monitoring the load on
the resources to re-allocate resources according to the workload.]

(2) Consolidation
     A data center has lots of 4-way machines, and lots of single-CPU jobs.
Jobs are queued. You know how much memory each job uses. The objective here
is to submit jobs in a way that maximizes utilization, so you want to select
a machine that has enough memory and CPU available available to add a given
job without thrashing it. I'm assuming that you are using dynamic
information on load and memory with reasonably good "freshness" to make the
selection.

Regards,

Fred Maciel
Hitachi America R&D