[ogsa-wg] GGF-DMTF Work Register

Tom Maguire tmaguire at us.ibm.com
Tue Aug 2 09:40:39 CDT 2005

Comments inlined

owner-ogsa-wg at ggf.org wrote on 08/02/2005 09:47:30 AM:

> Thanks Tom,
>
> My comment in line <HK>.
> ----
> Hiro Kishimoto
>
> Tom Maguire wrote:
> > owner-ogsa-wg at ggf.org wrote on 08/02/2005 06:49:20 AM:
> >

> >>Hi Tom,
> >>
> >>Thank you very much for your Milestone proposal.
> >>I will make no objection about this proposal but have some
> >>reservations.
> >>
> >>Even though CIM is the most promising and widely adopted resource model
> >>in the world, OGSA-WG is still discussing our strategic direction of
> >>resource modeling. Reasonable work process is something like:
> >>
> >>(1) Determine the strategic direction including resource model
> >>     selection (CIM?).
> >>(2) List up and prioritize requirements on models.
> >>(3) Ask external experts to fulfill each requirement.
> >

> > Question (1) is moot given that we are talking specifically about
> > the GGF-DMTF Work Register.
>
> <HK>
> I don't think so. It is very unlikely but if OGSA-WG chooses i.e. GLUE
> schema as our resource model, we don't need to put our names on Work
> Register document.
>
> Actually, we are going to work with DMTF but our strategic decision
> should come before Work Register.
> </HK>

My point is that we already have a work register in place with DMTF.
That work register is being updated to include xml namespace and schema.
The question of strategic or not is orthogonal and I do not think we
need to serialize behind that decision.  The decision of what resource
model to use and where it is standardized is going to be discipline
specific.

So my point is:
1) ANY resource model we use MUST have a normative xml expression
2) ANY resource model we use MUST have a normative wsdl expression

For specific, specific disciplines we undoubtedly will use portions of
CIM.  We (OGSA) will undoubtedly use portions of other resource models
(perhaps IETF for networking). All of the models we use MUST meet the
normative low bar above 1 & 2.

So given that we are likely to use portions of CIM and given that
we need normative XML and normative wsdl expressions.  I am uncertain
what strategic decision needs to be further made that would effect
the work register.