[ogsa-wg] Virtualization: How do we specify notifications?

Michael Behrens behrens at r2ad.com
Fri Apr 8 10:48:03 CDT 2005

Interesting Dave....
I understand that properties can be queried using WS-ResourcePropoerties
and can be advertised (pub/sub) via WS-Notification.   However does not
WSRF separate the properties from the methods - almost in a non-OO
fashion? (de-encapsulate)    I'm not sure if there is an automatic
association between properties defined and notification events as this
might be optionally implemented.  So perhaps this needs to be specified
if needed along with the identifiers of the properties in the profile
documents.  What about thread control (locking, etc?) issues?

A side note with regard to APIs and SOA:  It does seem as though an
adhoc refactoring of APIs (MFC, Java, others) are being created as Web
Services.  WSRF brings state with it, and hence ways to instantiate
object properties dynamically.  Not behavior however.  Perhaps an
introduction of WS-Rules or WS-Class (just made those up) or perhaps
something in BPEL or Web Services Choreography Description Language
(WS-CDL) would provide a linkage between the properties and behavior.
It seems like the OO lessons are slowing being re-learned in the WS* space.
If we were to refactor the grid fabric with an interoperable
standardized language as a goal, one might question if SOAP and the
entire WS* stack should be used as that basis.  For now, it is a good
foundation (language interop), however I would like to see what else
might be possible with regard to OO based grid specs which could be
standardized via the GGF, perhaps using a model (as in Model Drivel
Architecture).

--
Michael Behrens
R2AD, LLC