Glossary service vs. resource (RE: [ogsa-wg] Proposed agenda for Nov. 17th call)

Hiro Kishimoto hiro.kishimoto at jp.fujitsu.com
Wed Nov 17 16:27:46 CST 2004

Hi all,

> From the telecon minutes of 20 Oct. 2004
> Action: Hiro to do a first try on 'service' & 'resource' wrt the above
discussion
> and discuss with a small group before bringing back to the call.

The attached is my draft proposal for definition of service, resource, entity,
manageable resource, and manageable entity with feedbacks form Dave
Snelling and Fred Maciel.

My proposal is

(a) Service = Web service

Dave: This is OK, although some may argue that there are services of
         interest that are not Web Services.

Fred: Agreed. We could mention that OGSA concerns only Web services,
        and any service that's not a Web service is not part of the OGSA
        framework.

Hiro: Agreed that OGSA v1.0 chooses Web service as its infrastructure.
       But OGSA does not prohibit the other plumbing.

(b) Resource = entity (= stateful resource defined by WSRF)

Dave: WSRF-Resource(*) defines a resource is an entity that has
         the following characteristics:
         - It MUST be identifiable; a resource has at least one resource
            identifier (see Section2.2).
         - It MUST have a set of zero or more properties which are
            expressible in XML infoset.
         - It MAY have lifecycle.

Fred: I disagree. I think that in the real world not everything in a Grid will
        be manageable. Suppose that you have a host that's not manageable
        (say, you lost the root password -- you can only run jobs on it, press
        the reset button if things go wrong, and nothing else). It is still an
entity,
        but I don't think that it is a resource. I think that the word resource
        implies that you may not only use it but also manipulate it (monitor it,

        provision it or provision stuff on it, change its IP address or reboot
it
        remotely, etc.).

Hiro: Everything is "resource" but not "manageable resource."

(c) Manageable resource = manageable entity (will be represented by WS-resource)

Dave: WSRF-Resource(*) defines a WS-Resource is a Web service

Hiro: It is tricky but OGSA does not define WS-Resource.

* the URL for WSRF-Resource:
http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/9547/wsrf-WS-
Resource-1.2-draft-01.doc

https://forge.gridforum.org/projects/ogsa-wg/document/200412_draft_agenda_outlin