[ogsa-wg] effective use of resource lifetimes in grid infrastructure

Ian Foster foster at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Dec 3 13:18:36 CST 2004

Steve:

A variety of semantics and connections are possible between a "WS-Resource"
and an "entity that the WS-Resource repesents", including both your (a) and
(b) below. I don't believe that the implied resource pattern implies that
one particular approach be adopted.

The following are some rough notes on how we have chosen to handle things
in the GT4 GRAM service. This may perhaps be relevant to your problem.

The approach that we take in GT4 GRAM is as follows:

1) A GRAM ManagedJobFactory defines a "create job" operation that:

a) creates a job, and also

b) creates a ManagedJob WS-Resource, which represents the resource
manager's view of the job.

2) The ManagedJob WS-Resource and the job are then linked as follows:

a) Destroying the ManagedJob WS-Resource kills the job

b) State changes in the job are reflected in the ManagedJob WS-Resource

c) Termination of the job also destroys the ManagedJob WS-Resource, but not
immediately: we find that you typically want to leave the managedjob state
around for "a while" after the job terminates to allow clients to figure
out what happened to the job after the fact

Regards -- Ian.

At 01:11 PM 12/3/2004 +0000, Steve Loughran wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I am trying to design the CDDLM deployment API in the WS-RF style, and am
>having
>problems with understanding the best way to make effective use of resource
>lifetimes in a fault-tolerant environment. I would like some assistance :

>I think the problem here is "what should I be modelling with the implicit
>resource pattern"? . Is it:-
>
>(a) the resource in question *is* the application. When the resource is
>destroyed, so is the application.
>
>(b) the resource in question is merely a view of the application. When the
>resource is destroyed, the view goes away, but the application remains until
>destroyed by some other means.
>
>-Steve

Ian Foster                    www.mcs.anl.gov/~foster
Math & Computer Science Div.  Dept of Computer Science
Argonne National Laboratory   The University of Chicago
Argonne, IL 60439, U.S.A.     Chicago, IL 60637, U.S.A.
Tel: 630 252 4619             Fax: 630 252 1997
         Globus Alliance, www.globus.org