[ogsa-wg] Glossary defs: SLA/SLO

Treadwell, Jem jem.treadwell at hp.com
Tue Dec 12 13:49:23 CST 2006

Hi, as you saw in Andreas's minutes, we reviewed a few more terms on
Monday's call, in the continuing convergence of the EGA and OGSA
glossaries.  We decided not to include DMTF, and we reviewed "utility
computing," but decided not to include it for the time being - we'll
revisit that decision later.

We reviewed SLA and SLO.  For SLA, I've converged the two definitions by
reducing the wordiness of the OGSA definition and adding the concept of
payment, which was in the EGA definition.  The definition of SLO is
unchanged from the OGSA version, because the definitions were consistent

	Service-level agreement: A contract between a provider and a
user that specifies the level of service that is expected during the
term of the contract.

	SLAs are used by vendors and customers, as well as internally by
IT shops and their end users. They might specify availability
requirements and response times for normal operations and for problem
resolution (network down, machine failure, etc.), and they might
stipulate the payment and/or penalties associated with meeting or
failing to meet the agreed criteria.

	See also: Service-level objective

	Service-level objective: A target level of service for a
resource or a set of resources.

	An SLO might be expressed in units such as average response time
for a representative set of transaction types, or in terms of the
monthly availability of a given service.

	See also: Service-level agreement

If you have comments please let me know; otherwise I'll move these terms
into the draft document.

- Jem

Jem Treadwell
Hewlett-Packard Company