[ogsa-rss-wg] Is Draft 7 the Last?

Donal K. Fellows donal.k.fellows at manchester.ac.uk
Fri Oct 5 10:34:34 CDT 2007

With OGF 21 just round the corner, I have quite a lot of pleasure to
announce that draft 7 of the Resource Selection Services specification
is now available on GridForge.

Document: https://forge.gridforum.org/sf/go/doc14791?nav=1
Schemas:  https://forge.gridforum.org/sf/go/doc14792?nav=1

(Yes, I didn't announce draft 6. That's because that was only yesterday
and I managed to get the remaining issues today.)

As far as I'm aware, draft 7 is now in a state that I'd be happy to see
go to public comment in. The only issue that is not closed (that I know
about) is the use of XQuery inside the resource selection system, but
I'm certain that that will take a lot more work to do because XQuery is
pretty large, very complex, and will need profiling. The vastly
restrictive ordering language I've got in there is trivial by comparison
and is much easier to implement (largely because it stays out of the
information model/service debate). The other big feature in draft6/7 is
that I've defined how to do RSS with WS-Transfer/WS-Enumeration (I
think; those specs aren't very well written when you move away from the
trivial case). Since I think everything that needs to be done is done,
and that there's good reasons for not doing any more, it's time to let
it out. But what do other people think? Should we have Last Call?

Donal.