[ogsa-rss-wg] Resource Selection Services Architecture

Mathias Dalheimer dalheimer at itwm.fhg.de
Mon Mar 6 04:02:23 CST 2006

Hi again!

I would like to start a discussion on Donal's draft. So far, I am quite
happy with Donal's draft. I like the idea of a candidate ordering
language. But I have my doubts about the distinction between the
Candidate Set Generator (CSG) and the Execution Planing System (EPS). If
you put the services together, you get basically the traditional
scheduler functionality. In the OGSA, the scheduler is divided in CSG
and EPS.

The original idea to separate these two entities was (citing loosely
Andrew Grimshaw) that it seems to be a good idea to have the two
different functionalities modeled as separate entities. However, if you
look at the current understanding of the RSS as discussed on the Jan. 06
OGSA interim meeting, the CSG is hidden behind the EPS and not accessed
directly (if I understand the slides correctly). Please look at slide 9:

https://forge.gridforum.org/projects/ogsa-wg/document/EMS_Roadmap_notes/en/1

This is fine with me, as I think it is easier to implement just one
interface to the EPS instead of two interfaces. But we should discuss
whether it makes sense to define the CSG as a separate entity. So far, I
am not aware of a usecase that would depend on the CSG being a separate
entity. Personally, I think we should concentrate on the EPS and
incorporate the CSG functionality in the EPS implementation.

Awaiting your comments,
-Mathias

Dipl.-Wirtsch. Ing. (Inform.) Mathias Dalheimer
Fraunhofer Institut fuer Techno- und Wirtschaftsmathematik (ITWM)
Fraunhofer-Platz 1
67663 Kaiserslautern, Germany

Phone +49(0)631/31600-4484 | mailto:dalheimer at itwm.fraunhofer.de
Fax   +49(0)631/31600-1099 |