[ogsa-rss-wg] Resource Selection Services Architecture

Donal K. Fellows donal.k.fellows at manchester.ac.uk
Thu Apr 27 10:08:35 CDT 2006

Mathias Dalheimer wrote:
> This is fine with me, as I think it is easier to implement just one
> interface to the EPS instead of two interfaces. But we should discuss
> whether it makes sense to define the CSG as a separate entity. So far, I
> am not aware of a usecase that would depend on the CSG being a separate
> entity. Personally, I think we should concentrate on the EPS and
> incorporate the CSG functionality in the EPS implementation.

I've been meaning to reply to this for ages, but it's kept getting
pushed down my schedule. :-( Even now, I've not really got time to reply
properly; I just don't feel I can put it off any longer anyway.

I think that keeping the CSG as an abstract notion as value because it
is likely to be of use to parts of the overall OGSA architecture other
than resource selection. For example, it applies to the selection of
things like data files from a replica catalog. Because of this, keeping
the idea separate feels right to me.

On the other hand, I've definitely not got the effort spare to put
towards developing a full set of schemas covering everything I laid out
at the last GGF. Because of that, I think that it won't make that much
practical difference, at least not in the first instance.

Donal.