[ogsa-rss-bof] Resource Model Discussion during OGSA telecon

Soonwook Hwang hwang at grid.nii.ac.jp
Tue Jul 12 22:48:47 CDT 2005

Hi all,

I agree with Donal that resource modeling
thing is something that we should avoid handling
in the RSS because of the same concern that
BES group has that "if the the modeling work was taken
on then it would cause the overall BES work to stall."
We'd rather focus on coming up with the definition
of interface and protocols of EPS and CSG as in our
charter draft.

My gut is telling me that it might be a good idea
to start our work by making it as simple as possible.
I mean, we might want to deal with only single-job
case in this very beginning. If we could come up with
something more clear about what to do with the single-job case,
then we might have some idea as to what to do with
the multi-job case such as workflows, master/workers.

Let's focus on a single-job case, which, I think, gives
us freedom to exploit the JSDL v1 specification
for the job description, especially for job's
resource requirement description.

As Donal pointed out, It seems that there are three
things we have to think hard right now: (Assuming our
focus is on the single-job case)

1) Resource modeling for job requirement:
We may want to take a look at the JSDL resource part.
I mean, we may want to restrict ourselves on job's resource
requirements supported *only* by JSDL v1 spec. This
restriction would make our lives much easier. We don't
have to deal with the whole resource modeling thing.

2) Resource capability modeling
As a start point, we may want to take a look at Globus MDS
and Unicore IDB Resource modeling. How do computing
resources publish their capabilities in the Globus and Unicore?
What kinds of resource capabilities attributes are used in Globus,
Unicore and Condor? We could come up with the most
commonly used resource capabilities attributes.

3) Selection Criteria
Now that we have the ways of describing 1) job's
resource requirements and 2) resource capabilities,
the CSG can simply generates a list of resources available
for the execution of job with simple, dumb matchmaking
mechanism only based on resource requirements and resource
capabilities.
As a selection criteria used for in the EPS, I am suggesting
a ranking mechanism. To this end, we need to come up
with some mechanism for making it possible to assign
weight (or preference) to each of resource requirement
attributes. With this simple weight mechanism, EPS
would be able to choose the best resource that fit the job's
requirement among the resources in the candidate
set. For this ranking mechanism, we may want to investigate
the Condor's matchmaking algorithm. Standardization of
the condor's proprietary matchmaking algorithm in the OGSA
RSS context would, if we can, be certainly our contribution
to the Grid community.

Regards,
Soonwook