[ogsa-naming-wg] RNS 1.1

Mark Morgan mmm2a at virginia.edu
Thu Apr 30 09:18:00 CDT 2009

Apologies to those who already received a copy -- I had a mailing snafu
but Mr. Replogle was kind enough to help me.

As promised, Andrew and I just finished updating the proposed RNS 1.1
specification (and WS-Iterator specification) as discussed at the last
OGF.  As before, I would like to clarify that while the documents
presented are in "official" OGF spec. format (if there is such a thing),
that coincidence is merely for lack of a better format to use (i.e.,
this is a draft recommendation to the groups, not a completed spec.).

The changes in these documents were mostly to address
concerns/thoughts/comments from the last OGF.  Namely, a couple of
changes to the wsdl/schema for typo's and some clarifying comments there
as well.  Further, the RNS port type has been changed to support batch
operations on all operations except lookup (which already had a
"batch-like" mode).  Almost all changes to ws-iterator were cosmetic.

There are three documents in question.  The first two relate to RNS and
are modelled after the ogsa byteio working groups attempt to address
difficulties in OGSA BP renderings.  These two documents consist of a
rendering agnostic specification document generally describing RNS and
RNS operations and giving example SOAP and XML for any operations which
would be rendering agnostic.  THe second document, the RNS-rendering
document, renders the specification as an OGSA-WSRF-BP 1.0  adherent
specification.  The assumption of course being that as other renderings
became available, they could likewise be used to produce alternate
rendering compliant versions of the RNS 1.1 specification without
invalidating the existing ones.

The last document is for WS-iterator.  As described before and detailed
in the document itself, this specification is meant to provide a more
"wsrf-like" interface to iteration then available specs like
WS-Enumeration do.  Because this is wsrf specific and meant only to
replace alternately available methods of iteration to provide a more
convenient abstraction for the WSRF-based RNS, this document is not
split into two versions but rather consists of the entire specification
and rendering (an OGSA-WSRF-BP 1.0 rendering) together.

See you all at OGF!

-Mark