[ogsa-naming-wg] Question on WS-Naming

Mark McKeown zzalsmm3 at nessie.mcc.ac.uk
Wed Sep 28 16:05:09 CDT 2005

Hi Andrew,

> Mark,
> The reason is simple - we believe that WS-Naming is applicable to all web
> services - not just those heading down the "grid path". There are also
> political issues - including WSRF would make it unpalatable for a number of
> potential users.

I understand - I wasn't sure of the GGF/OGSA policy wrt WSRF.

> Also,
>
> "The client would only have to use the standard WSRF get*
> operations to retrieve a new EPR - the EPR would be the
> ResourceProperty document. The reuse of WSRF would
> also add support for updating the resolver WS-Resource
> through the standard WSRF operations."
>
> The way I read that comment is that you'd ask the resource itself for a new
> EPR. What if the resource is unavailable?

I think my explanation may not have been clear - the resolver
WS-Resource would be a seperate WS-Resource/Web Service from
the one it was providing the resolving service for.

Also have you seen IETF RFC 4122 - "A Universally Unique
IDentifier (UUID) URN Namespace" it may be applicable to
WS-Naming.

cheers
Mark