[ogsa-hpcp-wg] SC08 Demo Call

Steven Newhouse Steven.Newhouse at microsoft.com
Wed Oct 8 11:56:45 CDT 2008

Present:
Marty Humphrey
Mark Morgan
Joel Replogle
Stephen McGough
Steven Newhouse
Chris Smith
Vesso Novov
Bill Nitzberg

Agenda

1. Available implementations
* Software: GridSAM, Genesis II, Platform, Microsoft, UVA - Service on WinHPC Server, UVA - Service on PBS, Altair consumes a HPCBP endpoint
* SC08 Presence: Genesis II (people no space), Platform (looking for demo time), Altair (space but no people yet), Microsoft (space and people), GridSAM (no space, maybe people)

2. File Staging Support
Genesis II - Supports SCP but could do others
UVa - Support needs TBC
Altair - Client side file staging. Supports 'everything' if the client & services installed.
Platform - Thinks BES++ supports FTP.
Microsoft - Support FTPS with an extension for SCP
GridSAM - Supports FTPS, SFTP, HTTP, WEBDAV, GridFTP. Will look to see if SCP can be supported.
SCP may be the common protocol, but not critical as we can do pairwise testing.

3. Application Template
Fairly straight forward to implement. Put a standard 'JSDL' on the wiki page for a number of applications. The localized information is provided server side:
* sleep
* executes something locally
* executes something locally with input & output data files.
Open source applications available on Windows & Linux. Find data sets to provide short run times.

4. GLUE
What aspects of GLUE might we want to use? We could just return a GLUE document.
* Do we want to specify what we want to return for a BES endpoint?
* How can we use the returned GLUE elements to select a resource or something?

Look to return (minimally)
* Execution environment
* Application environment
Probably leave out the share aspect in the first pass.

Need to separate out what we might do now for SC08 against what we do long term.

5. SC08 Demo
* Do pairwise interaction to verify the file staging specification for the experience document
* Have application templates that people can use
* Record material on the OGF wiki page

6. SC08 BOF
Wednesday evening. Marty will ping the group for possible involvement once the plans for the BOF crystallizes. The BOF could cover current status, discuss current work (file staging, application template) and future work (GLUE).

7. AOB
* Promotion - updating the one pager

Action:
* Have a call (next Wednesday) where we see what the GLUE schema does!
* Wiki page for SC08
* SC08 demo call in two weeks time
* Provide update details to Marty on one pager.