[ogsa-hpcp-wg] Thoughts turn to SC08

Steven Newhouse Steven.Newhouse at microsoft.com
Fri Oct 3 10:03:24 CDT 2008

And as October comes thoughts turn to SC08...

For the last two years the HPCP-WG has organized interoperability experiments around the HPC Basic Profile. This year we can demonstrate the use of this OGF recommended standard as it enters production use in products and projects.

During OGF 24 we discussed some options for activities at SC08:

* Deploy compliant implementations. Record those organizations present at SC08 on the group's wiki page

* Interoperability tests around the File Staging profile. Use as the basis of writing and submitting the experience document to the specification from proposed to recommended. Need to define which (of the optional) file staging protocols we should use the resources available for testing the endpoints.

* Implementing and using the Application Template. This provides a mechanism to reduce the amount of endpoint specific information a client has to provide to start an activity on a resource. This information is provided (transparently) server side by the endpoint. There is a draft specification. The SC08 experience could be used to refine it.

* GLUE. We could use GLUE (if we can agree on a simple way to provide the information and what information to provide) to guide some simple resource selection between HPCBP endpoints. This could be combined with the Application Template to some simple brokering between jobs.

Comments welcome on these topics! If there is sufficient interest I would suggest a call next week on Thursday 9th October at 0900 Pacific.

Steven