[ogsa-hpcp-wg] File staging extension

Andrew Grimshaw grimshaw at virginia.edu
Thu Nov 1 12:44:43 CDT 2007

All,

Today we discussed which URI's to support in the proposed file staging
extensions. Particularly for SC07.

I suggest the following URI's

ftp

http

mailto

because they do not require us to address the issue of delegation in advance
of SC07. (As I said at the last OGF I do not think the delegation approach
in the delegation proposal is a good idea).

Of course I think ByteIO/RNS is a good idea - but I don't expect much
support for that. (We support it.)

Note that there exists a standard format for an ftp URI which includes
username/password. Therefore one could include the information in the JSDL
document without any need for delegation. (I do not know gridFTP well,
perhaps it supports a similar set of uri options, eliminating the need for
passing a delegated credential.)

On the other hand if we choose to support gridFTP, scp, or any other
protocol that requires a delegated credential, then we must also agree on a
delegation strategy . with a potential need to replace it later. (By the
way, we are not familiar with a standard URI format for scp.)

Right now we (the Virginia Genesis II group) support ftp, http, mailto, and
RNS with delegated credentials (not via the same mechanism Marty is
proposing).