[ogsa-hpcp-wg] HPCBP Extensions Short-list

Christopher Smith csmith at platform.com
Wed Dec 12 11:33:32 CST 2007

On 11/12/07 06:10, "Donal K. Fellows" <donal.k.fellows at manchester.ac.uk>
wrote:

>> Application inventory (a simple list of available applications, maybe
>> leveraging the Glue Scheme work)
>
> As far as I know, they don't say anything much about the actual list of
> available applications. Or rather they do, but they don't describe any
> interoperable basis for actual naming of applications: the names are
> just arbitrary strings in the GLUE model. Without some kind of catalog
> of standard names, it'll be really hard to make progress on interop on
> the basis of GLUE here (except within restricted domains where such
> catalogs are unnecessary).

I think that doing catalogs would be very difficult, since there is such a
large set of these things, and (as you say) each restricted domain has it's
own notion of the catalog. I guess in my mind it comes in two parts: first
is the mechanism to advertise locally available applications (queried with
GetFactoryAttributes) such that I know what "strings" to put in the
ApplicationName element of JSDL; second is to try to catalog a number of
"standard" application names. I think the first is straightforward and
easily doable and will provide lots of mileage in restricted domains, and
that the second is a longer term activity that will always be updated.

>> Resource usage data (for simple accounting and status reporting)
>
> Sounds like you want to use/profile the Usage Record. FWIW, I've had
> enhanced job execution engines in the past which exposed a UR as a
> property of the job resource once the job completed (so that
> distribution of the record could be done via WS-Notification, which I
> had easily to hand at the time). As far as I could see, it worked quite
> reasonably.

This seems worthwhile to pursue. Bill and I were also envisioning getting UR
updates throughout the lifetime of the job, so that you could see the
running status. This is a quite common requirement from our customers.

-- Chris