[ogsa-hpcp-wg] Telecon Notes

Donal K. Fellows donal.k.fellows at manchester.ac.uk
Mon Dec 3 04:08:23 CST 2007

Steven Newhouse wrote:
>>> 4. Data Staging  & Activity Credential Revision
>>> * FileStaging element in JSDL optional - we may Fault if present or
>>> silently ignore
>> The correct "JSDL way" of handling something is to throw a fault (with
>> meaning "I don't/won't do that") if a unsupported feature is used.
>
> Yeah. But the JSDL model having xsd:any everywhere makes it tricky
> for implementers to define what is explicitly out of bounds.

Understood. My point is that the standard way of handling the element is
to either accept it (and process it correctly) or to reject it noisily.
Silently ignoring it is (currently, as Andreas notes) unacceptable.

>>> * Define a list of minimally supported authentication tokens and
>>> protocols that an implementation MUST support (e.g. username/password
>>> and ftp, others...)
>> I'd be a bit concerned about requiring support for a specific token
>> type/protocol. Recommending is OK though, and requiring some mechanism
>> for discovery of what is supported would be good.
>
> To get interoperability we need a minimal core supportable set.
> People can (& will) go beyond that - that's fine.

Thinking about it a bit more (and in context) it's acceptable from my
perspective to require support for username/password for FTP transfers.
After all, the FTP URI protocol already says how to do it.

   ftp://user:pass@host.example.org/some/path/to/file.data

I was getting mixed up with the job submission side.

Donal.