[ogsa-hpcp-wg] Telecon Notes

Andreas Savva andreas.savva at jp.fujitsu.com
Mon Dec 3 03:00:18 CST 2007

Steven Newhouse wrote:
>>> 4. Data Staging  & Activity Credential Revision
>>> * FileStaging element in JSDL optional - we may Fault if present or
>>> silently ignore
>> The correct "JSDL way" of handling something is to throw a fault (with
>> meaning "I don't/won't do that") if a unsupported feature is used.
>
> Yeah. But the JSDL model having xsd:any everywhere makes it tricky for implementers to define what is explicitly out of bounds.

I think the problem of advertising what features one supports is
different from 'doing the right thing' when one gets a document that
includes features one does not support.

I had a look at the draft Glenn sent out and I suppose 'FileStaging'
refers to the FileSystem element in DataStaging. If a value for
FileSystem in a DataStaging element is given and an implementation
ignores it the file will be put in the wrong place.

The "JSDL way" (as Donal put it) does not allow implementations to
ignore anything in a JSDL document because if a 'user' put something in
 then it must be needed and it's not up to an implementation to do
something different.

Marking parts of a JSDL document as optional is one of the features we
have in mind for future versions.

--
Andreas Savva
Fujitsu Laboratories Ltd