[ogsa-hpcp-wg] [jsdl-wg] Re: Minutes for OGSA HPC Profile telecon (Aug 18 2006)

Christopher Smith csmith at platform.com
Tue Sep 5 14:30:22 CDT 2006

On 01/9/06 01:18, "Donal K. Fellows" <donal.k.fellows at manchester.ac.uk>
wrote:

> Andreas Savva wrote:
>> I've had a look through the document; here are some comments:
>
> I'm answering these as I understand them. Points I don't answer are ones
> where I'd just be agreeing with Andreas. :-)
>
>> 2. Executable is defined as a mandatory element in the same way as in
>> the JSDL PosixApplication. Given the discussions we've had in the
>> context of the EMS Scenarios this should probably be optional (0-1)
>> since the location may not be known until deployment is finished. (This
>> isn't an issue for the HPC profile.)
>
> Perhaps the right thing to do would be to leave it optional in this spec
> and then profile it to be mandatory in the HPC Profile. The advanced
> cases we were considering today lie outside the scope of the HPCP, but
> this spec is still quite possibly useful for them.

I'd prefer to keep it required for this extension. It's intended to be very
simple, and to give little room for error. The intention is that more
advanced use cases will need a different application extension for JSDL. A
system could support both POSIXApplication and HPCProfileApplication, for
instance.

-- Chris