[jsdl-wg] Re: [ogsa-hpcp-wg] Minutes for OGSA HPC Profile telecon (Aug 18 2006)

Andreas Savva andreas.savva at jp.fujitsu.com
Fri Sep 1 02:09:06 CDT 2006

I've had a look through the document; here are some comments:

1. This definition is based on that of the POSIXApplication with the
main change being the removal of the filesystem attribute and most of
the limits. Could you add a section summarizing these changes, or
highlight them in each element definition? I think this is very
important given that the element names used are the same (even if in a
different namespace). It may help to reduce confusion.

2. Executable is defined as a mandatory element in the same way as in
the JSDL PosixApplication. Given the discussions we've had in the
context of the EMS Scenarios this should probably be optional (0-1)
since the location may not be known until deployment is finished. (This
isn't an issue for the HPC profile.)

3. Donal changed the Argument type from normalizedstring to string. If I
 recall correctly there was a very long and heated discussion around
this in the past (but, happily perhaps, I can't recall details). Could
someone who was involved in the definition of this element followup?

4. Working directory - In contrast to Donal's comment I think if this is
not present it should not be created.

Btw, I am really curious here, how is a user going to specify that they
want a job to run in their home directory, wherever that place may be?
Surely the exact location may differ from machine to machine.

5. Why was GroupName dropped?

6. Consider introducing a sub-section for "Security considerations" in
each element definition. I think this makes more sense than mixing such
information in the functional definition. It also makes more sense for
this kind of spec than trying to list everything in a single Security
considerations section at the back. (I'm also thinking of doing
something like this in the errata release of 1.0).

(Not sure if I can make the HPCP call tonight, but I might turn up for
the first few minutes.)
Andreas

--
Andreas Savva