[ogsa-hpcp-wg] Globus Status

Peter G. Lane lane at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Nov 6 11:39:47 CST 2006

I figured out what's going on. The .Net implementations at least are using port 443. Globus defaults
to 8443. Could everyone perhaps make a point of including explicit port numbers in they're service
URLs? The problem as I understand it is this: *Nix machines have a port restriction on low ports,
which makes it impossible to start a web service container on 443 without it being run as root.
Windows has no such restriction. So while 443 is technically the standard for https, non-.Net web
service containers conventionally use 8080 for http and 8443 for https transport so that non-root
users can stand up containers.

Peter