[ogsa-hpcp-wg] Proposed rephrasing of the restriction on BES vector operations in the HPC Profile

Marvin Theimer theimer at microsoft.com
Sat Aug 26 17:19:57 CDT 2006

Hi;

As you may recall from the discussions at the Tokyo GGF conference, it was agreed that the HPC Profile base case would be kept as simple as possible in order to make it as easy as possible to create a compliant BES service (and to forestall feature creep).  Among other things, that meant that we agreed upon requiring the HPC Profile-compliant BES services would only be required to support BES vector operations of length 1.  But of course we'd like to allow compliant BES services to support vectors of length greater than 1 if they so desire (which we expect to be the common case).

Enclosed is a rewording of the paragraph in section 4 of the HPC Profile specification draft that restricts vector lengths of BES operations.  I've rewritten it to clarify that vector lengths greater than 1 are allowed but may result in a fault.  Please let me know if you would like additional rewording to occur.  If I don't hear any rewording suggestions in the next few days then I'll go ahead and insert the rewording shown into the HPC Profile document.

Reworded paragraph:
The BES GetActivitiesStatus, TerminateActivities, and GetJSDLDocuments operations include a vector input parameter that specifies the set of activities that the operation should be applied to. A Compliant system MUST be prepared to support a vector length of 1.  A Compliant system SHOULD support input vector lengths greater than 1 but MAY return a Not_Supported fault in response to input vector lengths greater than 1.

Thanks,
Marvin.