[ogsa-dmi-wg] Telcon minutes

Michel Drescher Michel.Drescher at uk.fujitsu.com
Wed Oct 24 16:53:08 CDT 2007

Hi all,

I am very sorry - I had ( and still have) my mind totally around our
demonstration next week in Tokyo.

This also means that I will not be able to make it to the conference
call next week.

On the re-opening of the DataEPR at OGF21:
After the extensive talk with Steven (and a lesser one with Allen due
to time constraints - sorry) I am very positive that we can find a
solution having the specification very little changed.

To elaborate more, let's again recap the participating agents:

Source:
Considered to be a Web Service of unspecified nature, but ultimately
intended to emit an ordered sequence of bytes.

Sink:
ditto, except that the Sink is intended to receive a sequence of bytes.

Data Transfer Factory:
A Web Service portType that architecturally creates instances of Data
Transfer Instances.

Data Transfer Instance:
A Web Service portType that models data transfers on the Web Services
layer (but is in fact the controller of an underlying data transfer
protocol.

Data Transfer Protocol (DTP):
A proprietary protocol that is understood by protocol-specific
implementations both at the Source and at the Sink.

DataEPR
A construct which essentially is a profile on the WS-Addressing
EndpointReferenceType XML complex type. This profile defines a
complex type data structure that further describes details and
requirements for particular Data Transfer Protocols. More
specifically, this complex type is named "AvailableProtocols", and is
a list of triples further defined as:
a) <normative identifier for the data transfer protocol> defined by
OGSA-DMI,
b) <data transfer specific URL>, defined by a suitable entity. Which
entity that shall be is not defined by OGSA-DMI.
c) <data transfer protocol specific security credentials>, which are,
when passed into the Data Transfer Factory, considered as credentials
that must be used, when the associated Data Transfer Protocol is
actually use to transfer the data from Source to Sink. As DMI uses
two DataEPRs, one in the source context, and one in the sink context.
That means that two sets of credentials, and also two URLs may be
present for each Data Transfer Protocols: One credential set and one
URL for the Source, and one credential set and one URL for the Sink,
should the associated Data Transfer Protocol be selected to undertake
the data transfer.

To allow support for all different scenarios as mentioned below, the
specification should not mandate that AvailableProtocol constructs
must be present in the DataEPRs. Instead, the OGSA-DMI specification
should RECOMMEND or make OPTIONAL that AvailableProtocol constructs
are present. Furthermore, the OGSA-DMI should explicitly allow the
Data Transfer Factory to solicit any information found in the
AvailableProtocols section, if present.

This allows for the following scenarios, actually Profiles on OGSA-
DMI. The reason to call them Profiles is that I do not see us consent
on one particular, specific model in practical Grids. However, for
Interoperability sessions we will have to consent on at least one.
This will be difficult, but this is possible, as the BES/HPCP interop
session at SC'06 demonstrated.

Now the profiles are as follows, named after the persons that I see
them prefer this:

The Ravi Profile
============
The Ravi Profile specifies that:
- the DataEPR for the Source MUST contain an AvailableProtocols
elemet in its metadata section, with exactly one Data Transfer
Protocol triplet (i.e. for GridFTP).
- the DataEPR for the Sink MUST contain an AvailableProtocols elemet
in its metadata section, with exactly one Data Transfer Protocol
triplet (i.e. for GridFTP).
- the Data Transfer Factory MUST use the provided values to
instantiate a data transfer and to instantiate a Data Transfer Instance.

This way, the Ravi Profile uses the DataEPR merely as a degenerated
container for some specific URLs. No particular logic is necessary,
and the DTF can instantiate the DTI straight away. The Ravi Profile
does not need to specify anything further because, as far as this
profile is concerned, all necessary data will ultimately be provided
by the client to the DTF. Where the client gets this data from is
irrelevant as the DTF MUST NOT solicit this data and rely on its
correctness.

The Steven Profile
==============
The Steven Profile is similar to the Ravi Profile, only that it
allows for more than one Data Transfer Protocol triplets in the
DataEPR metadata sections. In this profile, however, the DTF must
perform a simple matching of Data Transfer Protocol ids provided in
the AvailableProtocols elements in the DataEPRs for the Source and
the Sink. If the DTF finds one or more matches, it then will select
one Data Transfer Protocol at its discretion and instantiate the DTI
accordingly, using the information found in the relevant protocol
triples in the DataEPRs.

The Michel Profile
==============
The Michel Profile goes beyond the Steven Profile in that:
- A DataEPR, whether for the Source or the Sink, MUST contain an
AvailableProtocols section, and
- Each of the AvailableProtocols section MUST contain at least one
Protocol triplet, and
- Each present Protocols triplet MUST contain a DTP identifier and
MUST contain credentials that
   will be used if the referenced DTP is selected for the data
transfer conduction, and
- Each present protocol triplet MAY contain a DTP specific URL.

The Michel Profile leaves it to the implementation of the DTF whether
the DTF solicits the DTP specific URL (and availability of DTPs, by
the way!) by either using a standardised mechanism, a proprietary
mechanism, or no mechanism at all (i.e. using heuristics). The Michel
Profile uses the AvailableProtocols data structure merely as a
convenient container for the security credentials that must be used
when the associated DTP has been selected to conduct the data
transfer. The selection of the DTP may or may not depend on how the
DTI is implemented, for example a generic implementation for all
sorts of and supported DTPs, or specific implementations each for one
DTP.

The Allen Profile
=============
The Allen Profile is very similar to the Michel Profile, adding that
- the DTF MUST solicit the DTP specific URLs using a standardised WS
portType at the Source and at the Sink.

The Allen Profile clearly identifies the WS portType the MUST be used
to solicit which data transfer protocols are available, and which
URLs to use when conducting the data transfer using a selected DTP.

There is, however, one issue where I probably misunderstood Allen:
Security. As far as I understood, the DataEPRs must not (or should
not?) contain AvailableProtocols sections. If this is true, then this
leaves the question on how the necessary security credentials are
passed into the DTF. It might be that Allen thinks that this question
is orthogonal to what DMI should standardise on, ad leave it to the
implementations of the DTF and the implementations of any prospective
clients to the DTF (and the DTI?).

-----

Folks, does this longish gibberish makes sense to you? I very much
hope so as I see this at the moment as the only solution for us all
to consent on one concise OGSA-DMI Functional Specification.

Cheers,
Michel