[ogsa-dmi-wg] Proposal on fault communication for the DTI

Allen Luniewski luniew at us.ibm.com
Thu Nov 29 11:21:04 CST 2007

With one minor suggested change, I think that Michel's proposal is
acceptable.  The one exception is on page 3.  The last paragraph before the
box with the XML in it is too weak.  The "must" in line 2 should be "MUST".
IN the text placed into the actual DMI spec, I assume that the first
sentence of this paragraph will start something like "If the underlying
data transfer protocol could not be instantiated, the DMI
implementation...".

I also wonder if the use of the idea that this fault is associated with
instantiating the transfer protocol is correct.  Is it the case that the
error will always manifest itself when the DTI attempts to instantiate the
transfer protocol?  Are there cases where the error will only be detected
when an attempt is made to move the first set of bytes?

I would also observe that this proposal is essentially the same as that
which I proposed on 8 November, differing only in that the modified DEPRs
are "MAY" and not "MUST".

Allen Luniewski
IBM WebSphere Cross Brand Services
IBM Silicon Valley Laboratory
555 Bailey Ave.
San Jose, CA 95141

408-463-2255
408-930-1844 (mobile)

             Michel Drescher
             <Michel.Drescher@
             uk.fujitsu.com>                                            To
             Sent by:                  OGSA-DMI <ogsa-dmi-wg at ogf.org>
             ogsa-dmi-wg-bounc                                          cc
             es at ogf.org
                                                                   Subject
                                       [ogsa-dmi-wg] Proposal on fault
             11/29/2007 08:59          communication for the DTI
             AM

Folks,

please find attached my proposal on how DMI could model the fault
communication for the DTI.

I deliberately did not fully write the proposal as a finished text
for the specification. I first wanted to make clear why I designed
the proposal as it is.

If we agree to go ahead with whatever solution, we then still can add
the solution to the spec, and bang our heads together  on the words. :)

Cheers,
Michel

[attachment "DTI-Fault-Proposal.doc" deleted by Allen
Luniewski/Almaden/IBM] [attachment "PGP.sig" deleted by Allen
Luniewski/Almaden/IBM] --
  ogsa-dmi-wg mailing list
  ogsa-dmi-wg at ogf.org