[ogsa-dmi-wg] Questions on Unicore use cases

Michel Drescher Michel.Drescher at uk.fujitsu.com
Wed Jan 24 09:18:46 CST 2007

Hi James,

James Casey wrote:
> Hi Michel,
>
> I'm reviewing the Unicore use cases and have some questions.

Great! :-)

> * In UC2.1(import from users workstation) is the file always sent as
> part of the job submission?  Is there a separate way to upload from a
> workstation (or indeed from a worker node) into the Xspace a Uspace for
> a job which isn't started yet?

The import from a worker node ("living", i.e. addressable from within a
Usite) is actually covered by the export/import from a Xspace to the Uspace.
UC2.1 indeed focuses on data wast^Hallocating physical file system space on
the users workstation she's sitting in front of.
As you can imagine, this is not the most common case; users typically have
their data living somewhere remote which is addressable through a Usite.
Hence the by far most common use case in UNICORE is that data is travelling
from Usite to Usite. This is coverered in a different use case.

> * When doing an export/import from a Xspace to Uspace within a site, is
> an actual physical copy done, or is this a logical operation?

This is up to the site's middleware (in UNICORE: NJS, Network Job
Supervisor). When the NJS is incarnating such import/export description, it
may decide to do a symbolic lin or hard link, or physically copy the data
to the target location. This can vary from site to site, so that site A may
incarnate the same import/export as a symbolic link, but site B may
incarnate that same import/export as a physical copy.

If you have any more questions, or if I actually managed to confuse you
completely (I think so), please bug me on today's call.

Cheers,
Michel

--
Fujitsu Laboratories of Europe