[ogsa-dmi-wg] DMI Factory Concern

Allen Luniewski luniew at us.ibm.com
Thu Feb 22 19:37:50 CST 2007

Comments below.

Allen Luniewski
IBM Cross Brand Services
IBM Silicon Valley Laboratory
555 Bailey Ave.
San Jose, CA 95141

408-463-2255
408-930-1844 (mobile)

Ravi Madduri <madduri at mcs.anl.gov> wrote on 02/22/2007 05:04:46 PM:

> I am just thinking out loud here and I reserve the right to take back
> anything I said here later, if needed :)
>
> I think the DMI factory should stay away from QoS goals of the transfer
> that involve protocol negotiation with sources and sinks. Also while I

If the DMI factory is not determining the proper protocol to use then I
question what value it is providing to its customers.  This protocol
negotiation is one of the primary benefits that DMI provides.  And it is
inherent that such protocol determination take into account QoS goals.

> am at it, I think protocol translation is also out of scope for DMI

Agreed.  DMI should not be in the protocol translation game.

> factory. I think that the protocol to be used for the transfer is
> pre-determined by a higher-level service or user and is provided for the

> DMI factory. This request goes to the factory and a instance is created

As I said above, if the caller of the DMI factory has predetermined the
protocol to use, what value has DMI provided?  Why not just go to the
source and sink and create the transfer using the desired protocol?

> provided the factory knows how to talk the specified transfer protocol.
> Ideally, the user or the service invoking DMI factory should query the
> factory for the supported transfer protocols and then make a decision

I certainly agree that the DMI factory should advertise the set of
protocols that it supports.

> whether to send the transfer request to this DMI factory or not. Once
> the user/service sends the request to the DMI factory with a specific
> transfer protocol and QoS parameters(remember the QoS params are
> sometimes specific to the transfer protocol that is being used so there

Although I agree that there are some QoS goals that are transport
specific, it seems to me that there are a crucial set that are independent
of the protocol being used.  For instance, cost, bandwidth, amount of CPU
to be used, security/encryption.  One could easily argue that a "complete
by" date is also a QoS parameter.

> is no negotiation), the factory would then invoke the appropriate
> transfer mechanism with the said QoS parameters. I think QoS negotiation

> with respect to the transfer protocol should be done even before the
> request reaches the DMI factory.

I think that we have a basic disconnect here.  If a DMI factory is not
doing protocol negotiation, what value is DMI providing to its users?  Why
would a user get DMI involved?  Why would the user just not use the
desired protocol directly?  There may be some but I don't see it right
now.

> Allen Luniewski wrote:
> >
> > I have read through the current draft of the specification.  My big
> > concern after reading this is the way in which a DMI factory is going
> > get its job done.
> >
> > Consider what a factory has to do.  It is given a source, S0, and a
> > sink, S1, to move data between, as well as other important
information.
> >  But let's concentrate on the source and sink aspects at this point.
The